Join the fun! Discover the excitement: volunteer on our Education team. Become a Lena Meijer Children’s Garden PAL Partner this spring, summer, or fall!
PAL Partners have fun and engage with their peers, staff, and guests, while carrying out a variety of responsibilities:
- Assist with Discovery Carts and other engaging outdoor activities—among them, monitoring toy boats in the Great Lakes Garden, assisting with clay sculptures using artists’ tools, host painting kanji characters with water, reading to guests alongside sculptures, and showing which animal tracks match to which pelts.
- Gather materials for and monitor special presentations by artists, musicians, scientists, and story-time presenters.
- Straighten and maintain the Rock Quarry, Tree House Village, Beaver Lodge, Log Cabin and Story-Telling Hut and assorted materials.
- Work with Children’s Garden staff to provide fun and memorable experiences for all guests.
- To be eligible, applicants must be at least 14 years old OR entering ninth to 12th grade in the fall.
- Only one application is required for spring, summer and fall volunteering. Fill out the application by downloading it from our website: MeijerGardens.org/involved/volunteer
- Include three letters of recommendation (teacher, volunteer or work experience) and a paragraph written by you explaining why you want to be a PAL Partner. Make sure your application is complete and turned in by the deadlines listed below.
- After we review your complete application, you will be contacted by email for an interview. Interviews will take place after school. You will be notified of program acceptance by email,
the same week. Applicants are required to attend an orientation and training.
Monday, February 5, by 5 pm
PAL Partners volunteer a total of seven shifts in the spring two half-day weekend shifts per month, beginning in March, and one half-day special event shift in March, April, or May. Interviews will be held the week of February 12, and those accepted must attend an orientation and training
Monday, May 20, by 5 pm
PAL Partners volunteer a total of 13 shifts in the summer, beginning June 12, and one half-day weekend or one Tuesday evening shift per month for June, July, and August. (Exceptions can be made for family vacations.) Interviews will be held the week of May 28, and those accepted must attend an orientation and training.
Monday, August 5, by 5 pm
PAL Partners volunteer a total of seven shifts in the fall, beginning in September, and one half-day special event shift September, October, or November. Interviews will be held the week of August 13, and those accepted must attend an orientation and training.
Work in all 10 themed areas of the Lena Meijer Children’s Garden, gain valuable experience, make new friends, fulfill school requirements, add to your resume, and have fun!